Monday 16 May 2011

Day 11 - I do like a nice pub & Found One

Note to farmers - Please don't put barbed wire on top of styles where people put their hands - it does hurt and make me bleed - both not things on my top ten list of fun.

We liked Marys farm, not only a cat but an insane dog soon befriended by Sherpa Kerr. Her husband was born there 60 something years ago and they've made it a really nice place to stay,top marks to you Mary!

As we had done the hedge transit yesterday it took that off todays walk which made it short and sweet. The scenery was a bit dull if truth be told,its an incredibly flat part with farms as far as the eye can see. We did meet some dogs, the first of which wasn't keen to see us. Then we had to dash across a train track, luckily train free at the time and then some more schlepping round field borders stepping over dead things (notably a largish deer today). I'm not particularly squeamish but you do forget what goes in the country. We had lunch in a dodgy looking cafe at a petrol station by the A1: unfortunately you have to get across these things (bridges are for Southerners) which did without incident: I preferred the railway dash myself.

The village of Ingleby Arncliffe/Cross (they have two different names but they're only 200m apart ) are quaint but nothing to write home about although Sherpa Kerr purchased a rather fine wooden vase turned from Pear tree wood from a local artisan. We then had to negotiate a rather steep climb into Arncliffe Wood which was too steep after so much flat ,this made me an unhappy bunny but I soon cheered up when I got to the top. As accommodation is a bit limited here abouts we've come about 20 minutes off trail to the village of Osmotherly which is rather splendid. Three pubs (I'm sitting in the Golden Lion at the mo typing this with medicinal cider for my aching feet) and actually this is the first time I've been up to date with blog writing as I'm normally a few days behind due to no phone/internet access - I think another pint to celebrate is in order, Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment